My friend Bob from my church came up with this brilliant idea and I wanted to pass it onto everyone here. We’re calling it the Great Easter Challenge. Here is what he wrote… “Coming up on Easter weekend from the 18th to the 21st, I humbly suggest we collectively commit to a smart phone, internet, gadget free weekend. We are wasting too much time with these “devices” … at work, at home, out to dinner! Everywhere I go I look around and everyone is on their phone!!!!! Shut them off Thursday at midnight and turn back on Monday morning, after all wouldn’t it be better time spent with family, friends, studying the bible(paper version of course) etc.?
If you are in leave a comment below to let us know.
- Starts 12:01 AM Friday April 18 and ends Monday morning when you wake up
- Emails can only be checked twice a day and only those critical can be responded to
- No reading the Bible on devices (use a paper copy) unless it’s for visual disability reasons
- No video games
- No watching Youtube
- No TV
- No Movies
- No texting (except for information only such as “We are meeting at Harvey’s at 12”
- Oh yeah, no Facebook or any other social media
- No general surfing
- Phone a friend you haven’t talked to for a while
- Invite others over to your house for a meal
- Play golf with friends
- Have a Bible Study
- Go for a walk, bike ride or other form of exercise
- Prepare a yummy meal that takes a little effort
- Take a drive to your favourite spot
- Have a date with your husband/wife
- Take the kids to the park
- You have a brain, think of something to do besides using your devices and technology
On Monday, come back to this page and let us know how you did. Did you find it hard? Did you gain any new insight into your life? Share ways you spent the time.