I will never forget September 11, 2001 and, if you were alive and older than a toddler, I’m sure you also have vivid memories of that fateful day.
Without a doubt the world HAS changed since that day, from the level of airport security average citizens encounter to international politics.
However, that’s not all that has changed. Advancements in technology, completely unrelated to 9/11, have RADICALLY changed the way we live, work, and play.
On September 11, 2001…
- No one updated their Facebook status. Facebook was first introduced in February 2004.
- No one was listening to music on an iPod. The iPod was not released until the next month. October 23, 2001 to be exact.
- No one was fiddling with their smartphone. BlackBerry was introduced in 2003, the first Android phone was released in October 2005, and the iPhone first appeared in 2007. (Note: prior to 2003 BlackBerrys were more like two way pagers than a true smartphone.)
- No one was tweeting on Twitter. Twitter made its debut in March 2006.
- Very few had high speed internet access– dial up internet ruled the day!
Clearly advances in technology, the Internet, and mobile devices have radically changed we way live and interact with each other. However, the all important question is: Are you using these new tools to further His kingdom OR are you using them solely for your own comfort and enjoyment?
[Historical dates from Wikipedia]