“When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.” 2 Timothy 4:13 ESV
This is the first in a series of posts about using the iPad to preach.
As an itinerant preacher and public speaker, I have found the iPad to be ideally suited to my needs. Are you skeptical of this claim? Maybe you’re thinking “what’s wrong with a traditional print Bible?” or “you just want to look like some kind of Christian hipster!” or maybe even “that’s a complete waste of the Lord’s money!!”
Well, first off there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a print Bible. If that works for you, then by all means, continue to use your traditional print Bible!
However, let me assure you that using an iPad in the pulpit is not about looking cool, nor is it a waste of money when done properly. And, that is what this series of posts is all about– getting the most for your (really the Lord’s) money by employing the best iPad tools and techniques for preaching.
So, WHY use an iPad for preaching? Here are just a few of the reasons:
- Portability – the device itself is just the right size and weight to take virtually anywhere – across town or across the world.
- Multiple Translations – anywhere you go you have instant access to numerous translations, including other languages and even the original languages.
- Virtual Library – no matter where you go you can access your entire library. It doesn’t matter if you are at home, your office, in the pulpit or on an airplane – you will never have to worry about forgetting to bring along the right resource for your studies.
- Sermon Notes – Again, never worry about forgetting your sermon outlines – you will have access to your sermon notes wherever you go.
- Inexpensive – Ok, so the iPad itself is not inexpensive, however the vast majority of apps and other resources you will need are either inexpensive, absolutely free, or something that you already own. For example if you already use Logos Bible Software on your Mac or PC you can instantly extend your access to this powerful tool with their free app.
- Multimedia Presentations – Your iPad can easily send audio, video, and slide presentations to your existing A/V equipment.
- New Possibilities – Other possibilities include the ability to record your sermon in both audio and video, time how long you have been speaking, or use a “countdown” timer to pace yourself, easily re-size your note’s font size, edit your notes while on the go (no more cross-outs, arrows, or last minute squeezed in writing), and much more.
- Other Uses – Of course, you can also use your iPad for all of the reasons everyone else uses their iPads: email, web browsing, music, photography, keeping up with the news, social networking, etc., etc.
Some two thousand years ago when Paul wrote Timothy to bring him the cloak, books, and parchments I’m sure he never imagined that one day there would be this seemingly magical device that could do all three of these things for him… yes, all three as he could use FedEx’s iPad app to schedule a pickup for his cloak.
So, please join me every Wednesday in the coming weeks as this new series of posts explores how the iPad can be used as a powerful aid for preaching and public speaking. Lord willing we will cover the following topics:
- Preaching with an iPad Part 1: Why?
- Preaching with an iPad Part 2: Best iPad Bible Apps for Preaching
- Preaching with an iPad Part 3: Best iPad Note Apps for Preaching
- Preaching with an iPad Part 4: Best iPad eBook Apps for Preaching
- Preaching with an iPad Part 5: Multimedia Accessories
- Preaching with an iPad Part 6: Best iPad Apps for Sermon Illustrations
- Preaching with an iPad Part 7: Best iPad Tips & Tools for Preaching
- Preaching with an iPad Part 8: Putting it All Together
So buckle up and enjoy the ride as we explore this exciting topic. Along the way please add your thoughts and suggestions in the comments section, as we can all learn from each other’s experiences.